Friday, March 25, 2011

Honu

Warning...amara, do not, I repeat, do not read this post.

This was taken the last day we were in HI.
We decided to go to the beach in the morning.  
It was low tide so we walked over to the spot where the turtles like to climbs up on the rocks and warm up in the sun.

Nice shot (I wish someone had warned me that this shot was being taken--SUMMER!)

So, we were just sitting there on the wall, observing the turtles.
And I remembered that my dad had a pair of Sea Turtle Skin boots.
I know.
I did a little research.  Sea Turtles were part of the Endangered Species Act of 1973.  
In 1977, the list became more specific.  
Different species were labeled "critically", "endangered", "threatened" or "protected".

Hopefully my dad purchased his boots before the turtles were endangered.
I dropped the bomb while we were sitting on the wall watching these amazing, prehistoric creatures.
I casually mentioned that my dad owned a pair of sea turtle boots.
The girls started to cry and Rick started to laugh.
I called my mom right then and there to confirm the sad truth.
Sure enough.
Those boots are still down in the basement somewhere at her house.
Rick still does not believe me.  I'll have to show them to him one day.
(But, maybe not the kids, too much scarring)
My dad had ostrich skin, gator skin, crocodile skin, elephant skin, snake skin boots (and who knows what else!!)

And, it is illegal to "ride" on the back of a sea turtle.  
It puts undo stress on an animal that already faces the threat of extinction.  
It is punishable in Hawaii by up to $100,000.00 and possible prison time. 
ouch.
And for the record, in a previous post, Sumer never did "touch" the sea turtle.  
She was just trying to get as close as possible without actually "touching".
(kinda like the phrase...I never inhaled, you know)


Turtles take anywhere from 10 to 50 years to reach sexual maturity.
This is why it takes so long for the turtles to regain their population once they become endangered.
A female sea turtle will lay up to 100 eggs at a time.  Roughly 1% will survive to maturity.

The diver that we talked to said that these turtles weigh over 100 pounds.
Yet, they are so graceful in how they maneuver in the water.
But, they do look rather awkward on land.
And, even though Amara is not reading this, I really do hope that you get to "ride" with the sea turtles in the millenium.

1 comment:

Amara said...

Right. Like I won't read after that teaser. Jeff held onto the back of the shell which I'm sure is still hard on them, but at least he wasn't inhaling. I SOOOO am doing that in the milennium. And I'm riding on an endangered California Condor. And I think maybe a humpback whale too while I'm at it.