Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Fiestaware

I don't remember EXACTLY when I got started on Fiestaware...
but when we moved to Kirksville, I remember my friend Jacque had a bunch of bright colored dishes that I loved.  And then we started going to Estate Sales and Antique Stores and seeing lots of the same dishes.
So, I started learning more about Fiestaware.

 This is a view of one of my shelves in the kitchen.  It has a few of my favorite things.
A mix of Fiesta, Pyrex and milk glass.
The plates on the bottom left are all Fiesta.  And of course, my favorite color of Pyrex: aqua blue, especially this line called "Amish".  The 2 milk glass things in the front, right.  
And next to those on the the right is a rock from my dad's cabin in Fairview.
More Fiesta
The orange thing is a "disc" pitcher and the red salt and pepper shakers.
My Hawaii salt and pepper shakers.
The striped glasses on the left are from a cute little antique store in Brandon, MS.
We visited there once while Bette & Waino were visiting.
Out in front of the entrance to the store was a pile of disassembled chairs. 
We asked about the pile and were told it was going to the firewood stack.
So, we asked if we could purchase one of the chairs in the pile.
The owner of the store told us to take what we wanted since it was save him a load to the woodpile.
Score.
Bette continued taking the chair apart and took it home in her suitcase.
 This is a view of some of the bowls and plates in my cupboard.  
The orange plates in the stack came from DI.  I've had a hard time identifying which color it is.
I think it is Mango-Red which was produced from 1969-1972.
The other colors above are white (duh), cobalt, sunflower, and shamrock.
We use the Fiesta for our every day use.  
It's fun to go to restaurants and try to determine if any of their plates or serving platters are Fiesta.
We have also been known to rewind TV shows or movies and watch in slow motion to see if any of their props are Fiestaware.
Country Living magazine did feature in September 2011 about Fiesta...

As American mealtimes grew more casual in the 1930's--with families eating in the kitchen--Homer Laughlin China Co. responded by introducing a one of informal dinnerware called Fiesta.  Designed by Prederick Hurten Rhead, art director of the Newell, West Virginia, outfit, the dishes sported a handcrafted look in bright colors such as red, blue, and green.  Here's how the good became collectors items:
1936:  Just 6 months into production, the factory turns out its one millionth piece of Fiesta.
1950:  Hues shift with trends, and pastels emerge;  10 years later, a bolder palette returns.
1973:  Believing the stye had run its course, Homer Laughlin discontinues the line.
1986:  Demand for vintage Fiesta leads to a relaunch.
2008:  The Mentalist, joins a long list of TV shows and movies, including two and a half men, and A Christmas Story, to use the vibrant ceramics as props.

Back in the day, you could find a good deal on Fiesta on Amazon.  Not so much any more.
So, I/we just wait for a sale at Macy's.  Usually about 50% off.
It's kinda spendy, but if you buy it one plate at a time for 50% off, it's not too bad. 
The kids loves to mix and match the colors with the napkins and the seasons.
I love Fiesta.
My mom, my sister, and my SIL's all collect Fiesta.  It's fun.
(and we may have a slight problem, but there's worse things to collect, I'm sure)

1 comment:

Amara said...

Hey, I went into "Confetti" antiques in Spanish Fork on Main, and I think they might have a ton of this stuff. I found antique canning jar glass lids to replace mine from college that the kids broke (I had a boyfriend that worked in the life sciences museum and swiped them for me --they were going to throw those lovely jars away!), and glass bottle stoppers. Good stuff there (a little steep on prices though).