Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Happy to Sierra



Sierra got braces yesterday.  She was so excited.  She chose pink and green elastics.  I think her teeth are a little bit sore, but she hates to admit it because she wanted to get braces so badly.  Cole went with us to the orthodontist's office.  He says that Sierra has "bracelets" on her teeth.  She will go back in 6 weeks for the next part which is the "head gear".  Watch for more photos to come.  The only thing that  comes to my mind when I hear "head gear" is the scene from 16 Candles where the geek has a head gear.  I'm glad Sierra won't have to wear that.

edit:  Sierra only has brackets on the 4 front teeth.  They are quite crooked, but the problem is really her jaw.  She has a serious underbite and a slight cross bite.  So, the head gear that she will wear will have a little pad thing on the forehead and one on the chin with a metal bar that goes between the two.  She will have elastics that will attach to the bar and her top jaw, pulling her jaw forward.  The orthodontist said that it should work nicely since her jaw/head will still be growing for a couple more years.  Once the jaw stops growing, it is much harder to fix the problem and would require surgery(s).  So, once the jaw is moved forward it will leave plenty of room and her crooked teeth will have plenty of room to straighten out. 

3 comments:

Carroll Family said...

Wow! Why so young?

Kristine said...

Oh, that brings back some fond memories. I was Sierra's age when I got my first installment of braces. Those blasted Herlevi teeth. You look cute Sierra!!!

Jacobson Five said...

I had to wear head gear when I had braces. They told me I should wear them to work. I worked at McDonalds, there was no way in .....I would wear them there. They had to settle for me wearing it to bed.