Saturday, September 13, 2008

Fresh Tomato Soup

Let me just warn you, if you try this you will never eat Campbell's again.  That's OK.


3 medium tomatoes, quartered
1 1/2 c. water
1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 c. chopped celery
1/3 c. tomato paste (or just one of those little skinny cans)
2 T. fresh cilantro or parsley
2 t. instant chicken bouillon
2 t. lime juice (or lemon)
1 t. sugar
a few dashes of hot pepper sauce.

In a large saucepan, combine tomatoes, water, onion, celery, tomato paste, 2 T. cilantro, bouillon, lime juice, sugar, and pepper sauce.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat.  Cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until celery and onion are very tender.  (just enough time to put together a grilled cheese sandwich)  Cool slightly.
Place half of the mixture in a blender.  Blend until smooth. Repeat with remaining mixture.  Return to pan and heat through or serve chilled. 

PS.  I doubled this and I didn't measure exactly--I learned that from my mother.



Rick and I are still on the diet, but because everything in the recipe (minus the 1 t. sugar) is on the "OK to eat list" we ate some of this.  I tried to add up the calories for this dish.  I rounded up to the nearest 20 calories and I think that this about how many calories is in this yummy dish of tomato goodness.  So, I had seconds.  The kiddos had some cheese on top and some yummy goldfish crackers which I did not partake of, but enjoyed this meal immensely none the less.
Remind me to plant even more tomatoes next year.    
Did I mention that I love tomatoes?
 

2 comments:

Carroll Family said...

Mmmmmmmm - I'm gonna have to try this! I LOVE tomatoes, too!

Jess said...

it looks sooooo yummy! I planted 8 tomato plants and we've picked like 6 tomatoes. not much of a harvest this year. garden tomatoes are my absolute favorite food of all time.