Friday, September 5, 2008

final comment on Breaking Dawn

here is my last word on Breaking Dawn...
I just didn't like the book.   I should have seen it coming.  I liked each book in the series less and less.  And I hated, I mean HATED "The HOST".  I never read past page 100. 
And I should have seen it coming, too, with the whole engagement, wedding, honeymoon thing.  
I wanted to like Stephanie Meyer, I really did.  But, I just don't like her writing and her fiction.  But, that's OK.  Not every one likes Michael Chrichton or Gerald Lund.  And I don't like Stephenie Meyer.    And I remember that when the Harry Potter books first came out, what an uproar there was about how evil they were since they were about wizards and magic.  I read the first one just out of curiosity just so I could know what side of the debate I was on.   And now they happen to be some of my favorite books ever.   
Another thing is that I still don't believe that the Twilight series should be promoted to young people.  I don't know if it was in the beginning with Twilight or not.  But, when I went into Funfinity last week, I could barely get through the door for tripping over the Breaking Dawn displays.  For those of you who may not live in my little area of the world, Funfinity is an awesome little toy/book store.  If your kid has a birthday and a neighbor kid shows up at the party with a gift from Funfinity, you know before the gift is even opened that your kid is going to love the gift.  They have so many fun, cool, and even educational games, toys, and books. So, I don't think that it is an appropriate place for a book like Breaking Dawn to be promoted.  Maybe I should blame Funfinity and not Stephanie Meyer.  But, I just want to blame her because I didn't like the book.  But, I would think that at this point in her popularity, she may be able to have a little, tiny bit of influence on that.

Also, I looked for the quote for a few minutes, but I couldn't find it.  It was something about how Edward was thinking about Jacob fathering Bella's child and Edward says something about not being able to control himself when he "thinks of Jacob being inside of Bella."  Fine.   No graphic details.  But, I certainly don't want images such at that going through my daughters head or any of my 18 Beehives.  Maybe, they are reading things like that at school that I don't know about.  But, for now, my daughters and I are reading Anne of Greenables.  I think I will go get some Nancy Drew Books and the Little House on the Praire Series to put on the book shelf.

One last thing.  I am not intimidated by long books, either.  The H family has a problem with books these days:  we don't judge a book by it's cover.  We judge a book by the number of pages--the more the better. and I just thought I would add that the book I am reading right now is 641 pages and interestingly enough it is about Dracula.

My sister has stated that her new favorite book is the Kite Runner.  Does anyone have any comments on that one?  a copy I can borrow? 
Now, I'm going to go mow the lawn.

8 comments:

missliss5/Melissa said...

I totally agree with your criticisms of the final book and the sad truth of it being advertised to teens. Yikes. No way jose. Haven't heard of the book you mentioned---let me know what you think when you get your hands on it!

Amara said...

Jeff got kite runner on Mp3 because he thought I'd like it. We were both horrified. If you don't like graphic, it's not the book for you. Think of every horrible type of crime that could be committed and it seems like it's in there somewhere. That being said... we DID both finish it. Interesting to see inside the Afghan culture, gripping story. I hated it, but couldn't put it down.

Kristine said...

So, I have to agree about "Breaking Dawn". I also was concerned about Summer reading it. It was all I could do to get through it, but then again it was the same thing with "Host". And it for sure wasn't the length. If the book is under 400 pages, I almost think it's a waste of time. Which Dracula book is it?

Jessica F. said...

I have never read such a passionate review about hating something! The good news is that when her next book comes out you don't have to bother reading it!

The Blairs said...

I'm glad you're one of the few people who are "brave enough" to go on the record and say they didn't like it.

I HATED it!!!!

I liked the first one, the second and third were okay, and I even liked the Host. (although it took me awhile to get into it).

That said, this book is just stupid to me. Bella was whining the entire time and I had to force myself to finish reading it. Plus, like you, I don't like that it is marketed to young girls. Totally not appropriate. After I read it I gave it to my Mom (who didn't read it) and she asked if she could take it to her classroom (8th and 9th grade Language Arts). I said NO!

Wow, this got long. Mostly I'm just glad that not everybody is on the "Breaking Dawn Bandwagon".

Seriously people, it wasn't that good!

Sarah

p.s. Cole is adorable

Galo Fab 5 said...

I have read the Kite Runner and there were a few parts that made me cringe. So if you didn't like the parts from the Twilight series, the Kite Runner to me was worse. Very graphic. Different scenarios, but not a book I would feel good about recommending to anyone because of that and some language in it. But the storyline was good. If you could just find an edited version? :) Stephanie Meyers books are Young Adult (which is defined as persons 18-40), that being said definitely not a book for beehive age!

Galo Fab 5 said...

Oh and I took the part about Jacob being inside Bella as her carrying his baby and being half Jacob. Maybe I'm too naive.

Anonymous said...

I was left a bit disappointed also. I was uncomfortable with quite a few things in it and was saddened that it was so. Definitely definitely not for anyone not married I think.