Sunday, January 6, 2008

Tortilla Chicken Soup

I don't cook. So, because it is a new year and everyone is good in January, I am going to cook. Here is a yummy keeper recipe that I tried yesterday. It comes from Cooking Light Recipes from 2003.

1 t. veg. oil
1 c. finely chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 T. chili powder
1 t. cumin
1 t. oregano
2 (14 oz) cans chicken broth
1 (16 oz) can refried beans
1 bay leaf
1 oz. baked tortilla chips, crushed (about 2 c.)

Heal oil in a large saucepan over med. heat. Add onion and garlic, saute 3 minutes. Add chili powder and next 6 ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes. Remove from heat; discard bay leaf. Ladle into bowls, top with chips. (makes 4 servings)

My own version:
I added some cooked, shredded chicken that was leftover from my yummy chicken pizza the night before. And I severed it over rice which allowed it to serve 8 to 10. Cheese would be good on top, but that doesn't help with my mystery 13 pounds.
Enjoy!

No comments: