Monday, February 25, 2008

To whom it may concern...probably nobody

I learned while living in the South, that it is always appropriate to write a thank you note for something that has been given to you. So, here you go: one great big giant thank you note to as many things as I can think of that have been given to me because of Arctic Circle, in honor of your 35 birthday.
First, I guess I should thank Arctic Circle in general for providing my family with everything we have needed and some things that we have wanted for the last 35 years.
Then, I must thank my parents for providing me with the opportunity to work. Beginning at age (I don't even remember) We used to go down to AC and fill salt and pepper shakers, napkin holders, etc. I remember peeling cucumbers for the salad bar. And cleaning windows. I still flip out when my kids walk through a glass door and put a big old hand print right in the middle of the door. My dad used to always remind us of the time he found a five dollar bill out in the landscaping and then send us out into the bushes and greenery to pick up trash. So, thank you to all of you people who dropped your drink cups and sandwich wraps. I never found a $5, by the way.
Thanks to my mom and dad for giving me something to do every Saturday night. And Sunday night. And Monday night. My mom and dad were smart. I was so busy I never had time to get into trouble. Thanks.
And speaking of Sunday nights. I would like to thank of you people who didn't show up to work when you were scheduled. thanks so much. thanks for that spur of the moment opportunity to throw on my work clothes and head to Arctic Circle. I knew I always had to keep a clean pair of clothes handy because chances were at least once a week (and usually on the weekends) I would end up going to work to cover a shift that someone else failed to be responsible for. So, thanks to all of you who helped me learn to be prepared and to learn responsibility.
And I would like to personally give a giant thank you to the people who threw several dozen eggs at the Arctic Circle. On Christmas Eve. I don't remember exactly when, but it was about 15 years ago. It was a great experience. Yes. After breakfast on Christmas morning, we all bundled up and went down to the Arctic Circle and scraped dried egg yolk off the brick, sidewalk, windows, and every other surface. It was great. It only took about 5 hours. It was Christmas Day, so no biggie. We were all together down there as a family so that made it even more awesome. Family time at the AC.
I've met a lot of different people at AC over the years. The first "regular" customer that I can remember was this old lady named Rose (I think). she used to give my dad quarters to bring home to his kids. Thanks Rose.
Then there was Buck. He was a regular when I started working there in high school. Buck was an old cigarette smoking cowboy from Wyoming who drove a big old yellow Cadillac. He would sit and smoke and drink coffee 7 nights a week. But, he sure was nice. Thanks Buck.
And the Smiths. They were Friday Night regulars. They would come in for dinner after a shift at the temple. They were old when I first met them. They would pull up in their little blue car--always in the same parking stall. We would have their food ready for them before they could even get out of the car and into the store. Their order was always the same: "Two chicken fillets, tops together, bottoms together, tops minus white sauce" Every time. The buns had sesame seeds on the tops and he couldn't have sesame seeds. So, she would eat the top buns together and leave the 2 bottom buns for his sandwich. (I hope Rick will leave the bottom buns for me when I am too old and can't eat sesame seeds.) The Smiths came to my wedding reception. In Provo. In the snow. I still have the picture of the Salt Lake Temple that they gave me as a wedding gift. Brother Milton Smith died just a few years ago while I was living in MS and his wife, Marvel died exactly one year later. So, Thank You Smiths for being the best regular customers ever.
And Guy. Thanks for being the longest running regular customer. Nobody can can glare and swear better than you. That's all I can say about you. Thanks.
And crazy Mrs. J. Thanks for eating corn dogs every single day. And coming through the drive-up to get a balloon to take to the cemetery for your son. We really appreciate you taking those balloons every day and getting our name out there for everyone at the cemetery. And thanks for volunteering to host a lingerie shower for Brandi when she got married. I still can't believe that she didn't take you up on that one. Thanks anyways. I saw you in the AC just a few weeks ago. You didn't recognize me. It's OK. You provided us with years of entertainment.
Thanks to the Mailmen and UPS drivers. You guys are all so predictable. Thanks for being quick and easy.
And thanks to Nate's Grandpa you were so nice and grew the best tomatoes. Thanks for the tomatoes. And your brother, the mailman was so nice, too. He came in for a hamburger on his very last day as a mailman. We gave it to him for free. Thanks to both of you.
Thanks to the lady who ordered the fish sandwich and then tried to take a swing at me through the drive-thru window because you thought your sandwich would come with cheese. You missed me, but it's made some great story telling through the years. THANKS.
Thanks to all of the ornery people. And there are a lot of you. You make it so much easier to appreciate the nice people. And there aren't very many of them.
Thanks to the people who clean up their messes, especially the really messy people with a dozen kids.
Thanks to all of the 4 people who have ever left me a tip. I appreciate it so much. It went towards my college fund. Thanks again.
And thanks (I'm not proud to say it...) to all of the guys that I dated because of Arctic Circle. The first I can remember was Chance. He was a driver for Nicholas. He was a pro cowboy or something. He took me to the Strawberry days Rodeo to see him ride. I wore cute NineWest sandals. How embarassing. Thanks for that experience. Then there was the cute boy who drove the red truck and went to UVSC. He was a stalker. Thanks. And Discount Dave. He worked at Discount Tire. He wore a purple silk shirt on the date he took me on. Thanks for all of those experiences. It helped me to know what my standards were. THANKS.
Thanks to all of the friends I have made over the years. Thanks to Kim Stewart. She was one of my first good friends at AC. She set me up with her husband's brother--Ralph Stewart--who is also brothers with Steve Stewart of OHS Math fame and not nearly as handsome. It didn't work out, but it was fun. Thanks for remaining friends for all of these years.
Thanks also to Keri. You were a good employee for my dad for many years. People thought we were sisters for all of those years. Thanks for keeping that joke alive. That was funny. Thanks.
I really just want to tell my dad thanks for letting me work with him for 13 years. Thanks for teaching me how to count change, do the deposits, make the orders, take inventory, cook French Fries (my most favorite food in the world). And thanks for teaching me how to make sure the oil is at a high enough standard to cook fries. That is extremely important. Thanks for teaching me how to clean. (Sorry mom--you know what I mean) Thanks, dad, for teaching me the value of work, honesty, integrity, and responsibility. When Rick was a 4th year med student, we put everything in storage and came back to Utah for the Winter. Thanks dad for letting me come and work with you. I really appreciated the cash, but I would have done it for free if I had known how little time we would have left with you. Thanks for working around my schedule with my husband and my two little girls. I treasure that time. Thanks.
Thanks mom for putting up with this whole mess for 35 years. WOW. That's a lot of sacrifice, dedication, and patience. WOW.
Thanks to my sister and my brothers for the time we have all spent together at AC. It has shaped who we are in a way that nobody will understand but the 4 of us.
Thanks to Lanny for being at the right place at the right time when my dad died, that he could step in and take over the business for my mom. I really appreciate what you do for her. Thanks for carrying on the business that he spent 30 years building up. Thanks.
Thanks.

6 comments:

Carroll Family said...

That was neat, Kelli. I'd love to hear more about the dates - those sound GREAT! :)

Merrills said...

Kelli,
What a fun read that was! It is so fun to read about your memories from Artic Circle. That is so cool that it has been 35 years! WOW!

missliss5/Melissa said...

That was really fun to read!

Unknown said...

You are professional blogger I swear! I love to read your posts! And btw, Happy Birthday to you too! I'm curious how many birthday parties you had at Artic Circle!?

Julie

Marcie said...

Wow, Kell, you should be a writer. I agree with Jason and I don't even know him, you are a 'professional'. (If you like Ferris Bueller you would follow that comment up with, "a professional what"? Courtesy of Cameron Fry) I am so glad to find you. I FINALLY have a blog. I came out of hiding and joined the modern world. I would love to see pics of your house either here or at my email address. Our house is being built in Tooele as we speak. I miss you tons! Marc

(hi LeeAnn and Melissa!)

Marcie said...

I am a loser. Maybe I DO know Jason if that is Julie 'Jules' Savoldi. I HAVE been out of life too long!