Monday, February 18, 2008

Ketchup

I just had a thought about ketchup. I buy ketchup in super huge bulk and then pour it into the small, cute squeeze bottle that rests on it's lid so that when you go to use it, all of the ketchup is at the squeeze end. So, I was refilling the squeeze bottle and I started thinking about ketcup. We use a lot of ketchup at our house.
My kids are dippers. Right now I am trying to get Cole to get new foods, particularly veggies. I thought that by teaching him how fun it is to dip, that he would be more willing to eat veggies. Mostly he just dips the carrot or whatever he is dipping and then sucks the dip off. Sometimes the dip is ranch, sometimes the dip is ketchup. But he always calls it "chetchup". It makes me think of my dad. He used to tell me stories of when he was a kid. He ate ketchup on everything. I remember asking, "Everything?" and he answered, "EVERYTHING". He ate in on eggs, potatoes, meat, veggies, and anything else you eat when you live on a farm. He said he outgrew it slightly as he became an adult. I think it had to do with the introduction of fry sauce into his life, but I'll save that for another day.
I remember once in my early married days I made tacos and I served them with ketchup (and salsa--I'm not that dumb). Rick looked at me like I was completely nuts (I am sometimes). He couldn't believe that anyone would eat ketchup on tacos. I guess it's a genetic thing. I got it from my dad and I believe I have passed it on to my children. Or maybe they just picked up on it because I put ketchup on the table with all of our meals just out of habit.
That reminds me-- I need to go add ketchup to the grocery list.

1 comment:

Carroll Family said...

That's how we got Erin to eat anything - dip it in ketchup or ranch!