Saturday, February 7, 2009

I hate WINTER


I'm feeling a little down.  Not like "down" on the couch, watching TV for 14 hours a day like I've been doing for the past 4 weeks.  But "down" like I'm tired of gray skies, no sunshine, nothing to do.  I went to AC yesterday.  I was in the neighborhood and I had to stop by for my fry sauce "fix".  Lanny was a little bummed.  You know, business is slow, it's that time of the year.  It's always one step forward and two steps back.  I tried to cheer him up by telling him about this AWESOME bakery in Provo (Sweet Tooth Fairy--it's by sam's club--how convenient).  He didn't really care much about the bakery.  apparently he is not motivated by oatmeal cookies like I am.
I talked to my mom yesterday, too.  She was with Brandi and they were both a little down with the weather and nothing to do.  
Kelli, down the street keeps commenting that she is feeling tired of being cooped up with sick kids, too.    
I thought it was just me with my swollen, discolored foot.  But I think it's everyone!  tired of winter.  Tired of cold.  Tired of being tired.
My hand hurts.  arthritis.  I know, I'm getting old.  Falling apart.  But when my hand is sore that means the weather is about to change.  I looked at the forecast and that darn ground hog was right.  More winter.  snow is on it's way.  I can't take it!!  
So, this is what I want to do about it...
it's my birthday in 20 days.  And I'm throwing a little party.  Not the typical party where everyone shows up with presents and we eat cake and ice cream until we're sick.   This little celebration is different.  This party is me putting together my own gift.    If you want to participate in my party this is what you have to do:
reply to this post and I will put your name in a hat one time.
OR
send me an email with a funny story.  about me. or you. or us.  whatever you want.  If you send me an email I will put your name in the hat two more times.  (3 if you can make me laugh outloud)
OR
send me a real letter.  in the mail.  with a stamp.  I LOVE to get mail--not bills.  real mail.  If I get a letter from you in my mailbox I will put your name in a hat three more times.

So, I am going to spend the next 20 days gathering up some of my favorite things and putting together my own birthday gift.  I will keep adding your names into my "hat" for each time you contact me according to the directions.  The contest ends on February 27 at midnight. On February 28 (the day AFTER my birthday) I will draw a name out of the hat.  That will be the winner of my ultimate birthday package.  I will mail it out to the winner on March 1.  
See, this is so fun.  I'm so excited.  I haven't had this much fun since I was sitting on the beach in December enjoying the sun, while it snowed in Utah.
So, don't worry if this is lame.  I know my mom will participate.  she always sends me a card for my birthday!!  I'm going to go sit by my mailbox and plan my package.
 

10 comments:

Galo Fab 5 said...

Ha ha. You are the funniest thing. Crazy, but funny. J/K. Yes I am tired of winter. And I don't think I've ever said that before. What a fun birthday idea. You must be bored. Need anything? I can do your laundry. I'm pretty good at that. Or make you some dinner. I'm home all day and I can walk. It was fun talking to you the other night. And bring on over your hermit crab (and the tank please). What's one more. Ours are living in a plastic tote because I'm too cheap to buy these things a tank. They better not live 20 yrs! I don't even want them to live 5!

Leslie said...

Id love to send you a letter!!! I do have one memory that I always think about when I think of you. Send your address to leslieh@sfcn.org. You dont even have to put my name in the hat.

Carroll Family said...

I'm in! Sounds like fun! I had the January blaws but not because of snow. I get this way in August/September when I haven't seen a cloud in months and it's OUT-OF-CONTROL HOT!!!!! But, I did live in Provo for many years and that inversion thing is REALLY DEPRESSING - I couldn't believe how you really don't even see the sun for like 6 months! Here's to a Happy Birthday!!! (and mine the next day :) )

Amara said...

Put me in! Pick me Pick me! At least there was a little sun today. You want to get cheered up by food? Check out "Spark" in Provo. Lovely, Beautiful food. blew my diet there tonight. Good thing I got in an 80 minute run before. Didn't solve the problem, but it helped. Jealous? Get all healed up and we'll Tae Bo
'til we drop! Love ya.

Jacobson Five said...

We should all get together and be winter depressed together.
How come I didn't know about this bakery, I'll have to make a trip. Unlike your brother I do get excited about oatmeal cookies, or any cookies for that matter.
Have a happy day and seriously get me out of the house this week, we can take a trip to the bakery. It'll be fun.

missliss5/Melissa said...

Sweet! And let me say you look super cute in the picture you posted. And the bakery you found reminded me of the one by my house called Sweet Tooth Bakery....it just closed 3 weeks ago due to the economy. It made me really sad for them because it was a small, family owned deal. ANYWAY_--next time I'm in your neck of the woods I'd love to go grab a cookie with you.

missliss5/Melissa said...

Now a memory/thoughts. I wish I'd known you better in Kirksville. BUT--I'm truly grateful to have been getting to know you better through our blogs and emails. You have an awesome creative size (specifically thinking of aprons) that amazes me and you are so down to earth that I LOVE it. I love that you say what you are thinking and you are REAL. No pretending, no faking. I love that I find many things in common with you that make me smile. Even simple things like wanting to leave church after Sacrament meeting because of 3 year old duty. I just REALLY like you. :)

Jess said...

Good idea! Winter blahs really stink and watching it snowing right now isn't really helping. plus, I just can't get warm. I'll be thinking of something funny to send you in the mail for your birthday!

Kristine said...

Oh, I never win anything. OK there was that one time at the run, you know the one at Thanksgiving Point, where I won that pass to one free session of yoga which I never did use. Anyway, I'm going to send you my temple story. You know the one that I have on my blog. So, you can just put my name in 4 times. Yeah, ladies I'm gonna win this one!!!

Kristine said...

Oh, I never win anything. OK there was that one time at the run, you know the one at Thanksgiving Point, where I won that pass to one free session of yoga which I never did use. Anyway, I'm going to send you my temple story. You know the one that I have on my blog. So, you can just put my name in 4 times. Yeah, ladies I'm gonna win this one!!!