Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Felted Wool projects


At the first of the year Summer and I went to DI and found some wool sweaters.  We washed them in hot water and dried them and they came out the size of doll clothes.  Here are some things that we made.
They are flowers if you can't tell.  They are about 2 to 4 inches.  I made the first few with Summer.  Then we made some together.  Now she makes them by herself.  We put them on our coats, I wore one to church on my dress, and we put some on gifts packages and gave them away.  We got this idea from here: a feathered nest.  She has a few posts and tutorials using felt.  We also looked at the website of Betz White.  She pretty much rules the world of felted wool projects.  Summer has made some of the cupcake pincushions.
 They turned out cute.  And you know that if an eleven  year old can do it, anyone can!
Country Living magazine did a little piece on felted wool back in January.  They made a bag (book bag style) out of an old sweater.  It's cute.
I found an orange sweater with a big snowflake pattern on the front.  One day I might try making a pillow with it.  
So, now that winter is over, go look through your closet and clean out those wool sweaters and felt them. Spring is here and you won't need your sweaters much longer.  
One thing we learned is to not wash or dry sweaters that are too different in color at the same time.  I washed a black sweater (from banana republic--ouch, I can't believe I did that) with an off white sweater.  The off white sweater has tons of little black fibers stuck to it.    
AMARA:  You can just send Tia over here when she needs to do a project this week.  We have plenty of felted wool to go around.

5 comments:

missliss5/Melissa said...

Wow.......I am not crafty...I repeat. I am not crafty. But I envy the awesome crafts you are making. ADORABLE!

Julie said...

The flowers are way cute. I will have to give them a try. They look like they are from a boutique.

Leslie said...

"And you know that if an eleven year old can do it, anyone can!" I can prove you wrong.

Galo Fab 5 said...

Very cute.

Kristine said...

Those would be really cute on the girls' felted scripture bags.