Wednesday, October 15, 2008

quinoa

I went to an Enrichment Meeting tonight at the church and they presented some information on QUINOA.  The info was a little vague.  I found this...

Quinoa was of great nutritional importance in pre-Columbian Andean civilizations, being secondary only to the potato, and followed in third place by maize. In contemporary times this crop has come to be highly appreciated for its nutritional value, as its protein content is very high (12%–18%), making it a healthy choice for vegetarians and vegans. Unlike wheat or rice (which are low in lysine), quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids for humans, making it an unusually complete protein source It is a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron. Quinoa is gluten free and considered easy to digest. Because of all these characteristics, quinoa is being considered as a possible crop in NASA's Controlled Ecological Life Support System for long-duration manned spaceflights.

Anyone know any more about this food?

Edit:  I found some quinoa at Sunflower Market--We don't have a Trader Joe's.  It was 3.99 a pound.  OUCH.  We will try it and see if the kiddies will eat it.  What is a "good price" for this stuff?

4 comments:

Amara said...

I've just got a personal block on the flavor. 12-18% is quite high for protein. I'm pleasantly surprised. I wish I liked it better. Jeff and the kids don't mind it, I don't know what's wrong with me.

Jacobson Five said...

Thanks for the info. Do you think that would be something to get for the food storage. Do you know how long it would keep for?

The Pixton Family said...

I love quinoa! I buy it at Trader Joes and I cook it just like rice in a cooker but with chicken broth instead of water. It's great with black beans, chicken and curry sauce(we eat it about once a week).

Galo Fab 5 said...

I thought that was interesting. I'd never even heard about it before that night. Much better than tuna fish. I'll be buying some as soon as I get to the Bosch store. Let me know if you find any good recipes.