Monday, October 20, 2008

I Heart Canning

I have been obsessed lately. Not with aprons this time--but with canning while wearing an apron. See, I knew that those 45 aprons in the closer would be good for something. We have lived in our house for about 18 months which means that we have been here just long enough to experience a growing season where could actually plant a garden. My grandparents were yard & garden people and so were mom and dad. My mom is still a yard Nazi. And come to think of it, so are my brother and sister. It must be in the genes.
I was so excited to plant my flowers and veggies this past spring and it has been so fun to see everything grow over the summer and to harvest it the past few weeks. My first venture into canning was a few years ago. I started with Jalapeno jelly while in Mississippi. My friend, Kallie, must have grown about 400 pepper plants. She brought the left over harvest to church one day and I ended up with about 30 pounds of peppers. I can't tell you how much I love jalapeno jelly AND cream cheese and crackers.
Next on the canning list was freezer jam. EASY. and YUMMY. My favorite is raspberry, but the kids like strawberry and Rick likes peach. Too bad nobody likes apricot since I do happen to have a tree in the back yard :(
Here are some things that I planted in the garden this year: crookneck squash, zucchini, all sorts of peppers, tomatillos (12 plants) tomatoes (24 plants), spaghetti squash, butternut squash, pumpkins and birdhouse gourds.
The first thing that I canned was zucchini relish. Rick is hoping that there is NOT a natural disaster which will require him to survive on this canned item. I happened to think it was de-lish. Next, jalapenos, jalapeno jelly, tomatillo salsa (salsa verde), bottled tomatoes, bottled tomatillos, marinara sauce, and peaches.
The only problem was that I kept running out of canning jars. Apparently I wasn't the only one! There was an article in the Provo Daily Herald yesterday that said that the Ball canning company has seen a 30% increase in sales this canning season. I guess. There is not a canning jar to be found in this valley. I know because I have looked. I have even checked the second hand stores. My SIL is keeping her eye out down in Las Vegas. You can read about the canning jar shortage here
So, if you have some empty canning jars on your shelf, send them my way, I still need to do a couple of batches of salsa and relish.  Or you can just hang onto them until someone comes along and pays the big bucks for them.  In the meantime, I am heading back to the kitchen.
101708 canning 03
Happy canning.

6 comments:

Carroll Family said...

I would love to grow/can more,too! But, since we're selling a house, I decided I better not do a fall garden that I may not be able to reap. Can I have your recipe for tomatillo salsa? I love it and have yet to find the perfect recipe. Good luck - I wish I could come over and help - or just visit while I watch :)

Jacobson Five said...

Wow, you've been busy. Some day you will have to teach me all your tricks, in the mean time I will buy my stuff at WalMart.

missliss5/Melissa said...

You rock! When/if I move there will you teach me how?

Amara said...

Man. All I'm doing is sitting around coughing. I've got some quart jars, because I'm passing on the canning this year, come see what you want.

Leslie said...

WTG Kelli! I tried my hand at canning this year too. I did tomatos. I had a heck of a time finding some jars too. But finally found them at the SF Maceys. They had just come in the night before.

Marcie said...

Kell, will you teach me too! You are so talented. I am finally getting back on the computer after months. I can't believe how long it takes to move, get kids settled, involved, build a house, etc. We are moving in next week. And yes, I have a bunch of pics to put on my sad, lonely blog. I am also, finally pregnant after a year and a half. Give me your phone, address again so I can put it in my phone. I want to come visit you!! you look amazing, by the way!