Saturday, December 20, 2008

WINTER STORM WARNING

We've had so many days of snow lately, that I don't know when one snow storm ends and the next one begins.  Thanks to online shopping, I've not minded the snow so much.  It really puts me in the holiday mood since I spent the first 2 weeks of December in Hawaii.  ( you know I couldn't post something without a reference to the big vacation!!)  Anyway, on Friday I drove from my current hometown to my former hometown--a drive that usually takes me about 25 to 30 minutes.  This time it took me an hour and 45 minutes.  I avoided the freeway--too scary.  I think everyone else in the county did the same thing I did.  Plus, the BYU students who were finishing up finals and heading out of town.  And the crazy BYU fans who were headed to Las Vegas for a dumb football game.  And the usual friday before Christmas rush hour craziness.  But, all in all, I have to say that nearly every driver on the road was cautious and courteous.  I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth the whole drive was.  Granted, it took 3 times longer than normal to get to my destination which resulted in us NOT making it to visit Rick at work.  He was basically off work before we got there, so we just skipped the visit.  Sorry to the 100+ other drivers that were involved in accidents on Friday according to UHP, but I was proud of my fellow-uptight-Utah drivers.
On a side note, it was snowing so badly that when I stopped at the cemetery to drop of a wreath at my dad's grave I couldn't tell which grave was his.  The wind was blowing terribly as it usually does at the Orem cemetery.  It was dark.  And the snow was drifted higher than my knees in some areas.  Summer and I tried to guess that general area which you wouldn't think would be that hard, but for some reason was couldn't get it exactly right.  I tried to makeout which flowers were already on the grave, but most everything was snow covered on all of the graves.  I made a guess at which grave was my dad's and tried to brush away the snow to read the name.  It was too icy.  So, I just gave the wreath a little toss before my toes froze off completely and ran back to the car.  So, to the loved ones of the grave on which I left a beautiful poinsettia wreath, I hope you have a Merry Christmas.  I'll get even with my dad sometime in the spring when I can actually make sure he gets his flowers.     

2 comments:

Carroll Family said...

My brother called my parents yesterday to tell them how beautiful the snow is up there. I miss seeing it fall and the excitement of it, but not getting around in it and all the gear that goes with it.

Amara said...

Your Dad knew it was for him I'm sure. He was probably chuckling. I guess I'm glad we didn't try for a date Friday. I've been so stir crazy I took myself out to Walgreen's last night to just leave the house. Snow is beautiful when it stays in the mountains where it belongs I say.