Thursday, April 10, 2008

Update on going green

I saw a thing on TV last night about our carbon footprint (the new word for the impact one has on the environment--I think I will try to use it to impress people at the checkout line at the grocery store).  They said the the average American uses/requires 24 acres of land to support themselves.  you know, food we eat, fuel we burn, cotton grown for the abundance of clothes we all have, etc.  They said that if every person living on the earth required as much land per person to live as Americans do, it would take at least 5 earths to support the current population of the world right now.  OH, I'm feeling guilty.  I think I'll go compost, and plant a garden this afternoon.  I'll let you know how it goes. 

update:  so, I've been talking about compost lately.  Lanny thinks he can compost better than I can compost.  We seem to be having a compost contest.  He is in the process of converting a big, huge barrel that he got for $25 into a rotating compost bin.  He believes that he can compost faster than I can compost because his stuff is spinning and mine is just sitting.  He also has access to more "green waste" than I do.  So, I think I will enlist all my neighbors to add their green waste to my cause.  I can make fun of my brother because he does not read my blog.  

No comments: