Thursday, April 24, 2008

Is it just me...

or do all blogaholics walk through Sam's Club composing their next blog post?
Well, this is what was going through my mind this afternoon:
Rice.
Seriously People.  Are you really going to eat all of this rice?  Every person in Sam's Club had bags of rice in their carts (buggies if you're from the South).  There was a bit on the news the past few days about the price of rice, rice shortages, blah, blah, blah.  There was even a sign up on the shelves above the rice area that said something about expecting rice shortages in the near future and to be prepared for the rice to be unavailable for several days at a time while shipments catch up with the demand.  It was hilarious.  People were standing around talking about storing rice, and how much they should be buying, and what's a good price for rice, etc.  One man grabbed a bag of rice and said, "It's gonna take me at least a year to eat all of this rice."  I mentioned that we should all buy beans because there isn't a shortage on beans yet and they're still pretty cheap.  All of the old people laughed.  I was expecting some of them to pull up some lawn chairs and order a cup of coffee while they gathered around discussing the price of rice.
As for the question as to whether or not people are going to eat all of this rice--we will.  Within just a few weeks, I'm sure.  Rice is one of Cole favorite foods.  Along with beans, chips, and salsa.  And sometimes he eats Oatmeal.  And I bought some of that today, too.
 
and then there was flour.  Or not.  There was no flour to be found in Sam's Club today.  Which is ok.  Because my bread making is going so well that I am going through flour like crazy.  Which is not good.  We love our carbs at this house.  Sierra walked in the door from school the other day and exclaimed, "Oh mom it smells so good, did you make bread?"  And we sat down and ate a loaf.  I made 2 loaves last night and Rick and I had a midnight snack, leaving only 1 loaf for the kids to have sandwiches for the rest of the week.  Not good.  So, I took it as a sign that because there was no flour to buy, I should stop making bread.  I bought my 2 loaves of nasty dry sandwich wheat bread for 2.74.  Sam--you win.  But, I figure in the long run in will be better this way.  I was worried that I had made entirely too much freezer jam this past month but I can see now that it will not go to waste at this house.  In the future if it looks like it's been in the freezer too long I will just whip out the mixer and make some bread and the freezer jam will disappear in no time.  As will the nutella.  Which we bought for special occasions, but at our house these days every day is a special occasion.   
I'm sure a few other things went through my mind at Sam's Club, but those are the highlights.
If you're bored over the next few days, go to Sam's or Costco and hang out in the rice aisle (or the wheat).  Let me know how it goes.  If you're really hard up for entertainment take a lawn chair.  Or get one of those flatbed carts and pretend like you're going to buy all of the rice left in the store and then watch people panic.   Take a camera.  Post pictures.     

3 comments:

missliss5/Melissa said...

Hahaha---I sooo want to have a brave friend who would take me with her to shoot that staged photo and enjoy all of the scared people walking by! HAHA!

Kristine said...

Beans, Yice & Chips. We could have left Cole in Mexico, & he would have blended right in except for the blond head & blue eyes.

I think everyone is getting prepared so they can make lots & lots of rice bags. There can't be a shortage, because I might need a new rice bag in the near future.

Oh, & the wheat thing...you should have hear the reaction in church when they mentioned something about the cannery her not having wheat here in Vegas.

Jacobson Five said...

You are funny, should I bother to ask how Body for Life is going? Mine is about in the toilet, travel is not easy on the diet. We are not big rice eaters here. My kids all detest it. I could go either way. As long as there is no shortage a cream cheese or milk duds, I'm probably okay.