Friday, December 28, 2007

mystery 13

The mystery is where these 13 pounds have come from that I have gained in the last year. I believe that 3 of them have shown up over the holidays. I really am OK with that (not) because most people gain an average of 7 to 9 pounds over the holidays. So, I am doing better than average.
Another 3 pounds are from the trip to Seattle and Vancouver Island where Rick thought it was necessary to test out every single bakery on the way (and my oh my that Beehive pastry from the Goat on the Roof store was delightful). OK, so we've accounted for 6 pounds that leaves another 7 pounds that have shown up out of nowhere. I think I will blame it on the Mapleton water, although if I were just drinking the Mapleton water I would weigh seven pounds less instead of seven pounds more. I've decided that living in Mapleton is like living on the moon and I just weigh more because of gravity. Except that if it really were like living on the moon I would weigh less instead of more. So, I guess I will just stop making excuses and take full responsibility for every one of those 13 pounds. I brought it upon myself one cookie at a time.
So, this is what we are going to do about it:
no more treats, except on Treat Day. That worked great for us in Michigan it's just that now we're in Mapleton every day is Treat Day.
Another thing that I'm super excited about is the wonderful Christmas present that Rick and I got: a tread mill, a rowing machine, a stair stepper, an elliptical machine, free weights, and more. All we have to do is go down the street about a mile and a nice man named Dave will let us use all this stuff for about $50 a month, plus we can use it 24 hours a day 365 days a week. You guessed it--a gym pass. It's the closest thing to the convenience and atmosphere that we liked in MS at the YMCA plus the comfort and style of the Genesys Athletic Club in MI.
I got new running shoes a few weeks ago and the kids got me new exercise clothes for Christmas, so we should be set.
The last thing I need to do is to finish off all of the pumpkin pie in the fridge, chips in the pantry and chocolates in the cupboard so that we can get off to a great start on New Years. I just need to get over this nasty head cold so that I can workout without coughing up a lung. Wish us luck.

1 comment:

missliss5/Melissa said...

I so love reading what you write. You have a super entertaining way of writing. Best of wishes with the exercising....I HATE EXERCISING!!!!! But I'm trying it myself...