Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Time to Feast

Another one of my most exciting projects is putting together the menu for Thanksgiving.  Southern Living magazine puts together the most yummy recipes for their November issue.  I could prepare my entire menu from that magazine and Sunset magazine.  Sometimes it's tempting to try a bunch of new recipes, but I'm also torn with preparing the usual foods that we eat every year because of tradition.  I just want to fix tons and tons of food and then not cook for a month.  I could eat Thanksgiving leftovers for weeks--I guess that's a tradition in itself.  When I was talking to my mom about this a few days ago, she said that she would bring cranberries.  I think she might be the only one who likes cranberries, but if that makes it Thanksgiving for her then I say bring cranberries.  It's the same way for me with Pecan Pie.  I have been making Pecan Pie even since the Kirksville era.  I made one and my dad LOVED it.  He begged me to make one every year.  I still make Pecan Pie each holiday season and I think of my dad with every bite.
What are your Thanksgiving traditions?   

http://yalesustainability.wordpress.com/2007/11/15/unplug-for-thanksgiving-break/

7 comments:

Amara said...

Really wicked stuffed mushed mushrooms. Croutons sauteed in butter, cream cheese, cheddar, you get the picture. Love pecan pie. Love the whole feast. I may be doing most of it this year, we'll see. Just us and my parents.

Leslie said...

Our tradition is stopping by THREE Grandma's. It makes for a long day but we love it.

Jacobson Five said...

My family used to make these yummy sweet potatoes with brown sugar. They were so yummy, like dessert. Unfortunatly the in-laws do not enjoy it so much and that is who we do Thanksgiving with, so alas no yummy sweet potatoes, just the yucky ones with marshmellows.

Carroll Family said...

Me too! (Pecan Pie) Is it Lora's recipe? Love that one! My Dad also requests it - funny.

Julie said...

Chocolate pie for my family! And Kelli, btw, we will be in Utah for the week before Thanksgiving and would love to see you guys! Maybe we can meet up at Temple Square to see the lights?

Kathy - mom of many said...

We make my mil's cornbread dressing each Thanksgiving. She died more than 10 years ago, but we enjoy carrying on her tradition of making the dressing the way she liked it. I always make about triple what we need because I love to eat it for a few days afterward, right out of the frig, cold.

Galo Fab 5 said...

Jared and I don't love turkey. We'd much rather have seafood or sushi for our Thanksgiving dinner. Oh well, I do love pie. Mainly cherry. We actually went to Golden Corral one year. :) My mom loved it because there was no clean up. (She's had to clean up Thanksgiving dinner for the last 30+ years). How's your apron going? My partner already sent me mine! Guess I better get going!