Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Preparedness

I've been AWOL for a few days.  I have been working on a huge project:  I have been working on a big, huge master inventory list of food storage items.  It's six pages long.  


The other thing that I have been working on is this:
 
(I got this from an email from a local emergency preparedness business.  It sounds like good advice.)
Now that temperatures are getting colder it’s a good idea to plan for the winter season. Put extra insulation around the windows and doors. Make sure your emergency fuel supplies, the wood pile, kerosene, etc., are full and sufficient for an extended period of time. Have a supply of extra blankets and warm clothing. Keep the gas tank at least half full at all times.

This month our focus is on Important Papers and Financial Preparedness.
1. Take photos of your home, inside and out; furniture; cars and other personal property for insurance records. Keep copies in emergency kits.
2. Make a list and copy of all bank & savings accounts, mortgages, credit cards, birth & marriage certificates, SSN, insurance policies, car title & registration, current family photos for identification, prescriptions and all other important papers.
3. Keep copies of paper work in a fire/water proof safe in your home. Keep a second copy in a safety deposit box or in another safe place outside the home. Keep a third copy in your 72 Hour Evacuation Kit
4. Add money to your emergency kits – small bills and coins.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Good for you Kelli! We have been on the prepardness train too. We've been canning dry goods for a week. Its taken over the playroom.

missliss5/Melissa said...

Dude....you are freaking me out. Please don't take that the wrong way. I am just in a panic because we gave away our 3 months of food storage before we moved to FL and figured for a year we'd be without. THEN we figured once we were moved (next summer) and have a real job we'll build up our food storage. I read your preparation lists and feel NAKED!!!! UNPREPARED! But I am seriously sending you congratulations and I can't wait until I can post on my blog my preparation steps. Good for you. I wish I was keeping in step with you on this!