Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Sewing 101 with Sierra


When we were in Hawaii, we were in a toy store where Sierra saw a cute jelly fish stuffed animal. She fell in love with it and I could tell that she really wanted it, but I don't care if it's free, my kids do not need another stuffed animal. So, I took a picture of it and told her that we'd try to make one just like it some day.
Well, some day was today. I taught Sierra how to sew on some scraps for a while so she could get the feel of using a sewing machine. Then she chose some ribbon and sewed straight lines up the ribbons. Then we found some bright green flannel and she cut out 2 circles. She learned how to pin the right sides together, but she was too afraid to sew the 2 circles together so I did that. Then she turned it right side out and stuffed it. I helped her sew the hole closed.
Then I showed her how to pull on the thread and make the ribbons ruffle.
I might as well have been magic. She thought that was the coolest thing ever. She is sleeping with her jelly fish right now.

No comments: