Saturday, May 16, 2009

YW GIRLS CAMP

We had our second meeting for the leaders for Stake girls camp this week.  (so different from last year when I just showed up on Monday morning with no agenda, schedule, or map and had to put the peddle to metal to keep up with the ward camp leader who was the only one who knew what was happening or where we were heading...I'll leave the rest of that story for another day...)
Anyway, at our meeting I found out that I am a level leader for the Beehives.  there are 50 of them and I am in charge of crafts.  4 of them.  Budget $3.75 per girl and we narrowed down what the leaders want to do for the crafts:  prayer rocks, friendship bracelets, a poem and craft stick frame, and a scrapbook style book for using as a journal/record/autograph book for the week.  The other leader from our ward who is in with the Level 1 girls has access to unlimited amounts of free 12x12 scrapbook paper, so that should be good.  Another lady's husband works for a office supply co and will be providing cute pens for our autograph books.  That should help the budget as well.
Our camp will be at Heber Valley which apparently is nothing like Shalom.   The ladies in charge asked me to round up as many glue guns as I could find and I said, "they require power, will we have access to power?"  and everyone laughed at me.  Oh well.  Good news for me.
Which reminds me of HOW much fun I had at camp when I was young.  Brother and Sister Crapo were in charge every year I went and talk about magnifying their calling.  They were awesome. 
Anyways, I am so excited (times 10) for camp and because they are letting Summer go to camp this year since her birthday is 6 weeks after camp but before school starts.  She is the very last one of about 15 girls that age to turn 12.  She has been feeling very left out lately since all of her friends have been going to our awesomely awesome Beehive activities and she's not old enough.  But, camp will be fun for her.
Another thing... I just found out a few weeks ago that the Beehives are invited to Youth Conference which will be the week after girls camp.  Is that weird?  I have never heard of the 12-13 year olds going to Youth Conference.  But then again, I'm new to YW's.  And that reminds me, we are having a big meeting (aka PPI) on sunday and I think I'm going to be fired. 

3 comments:

Jess said...

Oh the drama of Young Women. we have it to and I highly doubt you will be fired.

Our Stake is going to Heber Valley too this year. I'm excited. I can't believe you have 15 Beehives. We have 2! I don't even think we have 15 Young Women total in our whole ward. (we live in a newlywed, nearly dead ward).

Brandi said...

I just got a tear in my eye, Summer is going to girls camp?

Amara said...

Do they ever do really "camping camps" with the girls anymore? Those were fun too in a different way. We moaned and groaned, but I thin it was really fun (in my memories). I've got a glue gun if you need it. Hooray for Summer!