Sunday, May 3, 2009

YW activity Update


Thanks for the ideas everyone.  I appreciate it.  
3 girls from our class were on the committee to plan out the details of this activity.  The girls had a daddy-daughter activity in Feb. that the miamaids were in charge of (I didn't attend because of my foot) so they didn't want to go that route again.  Also, in March, right before conference we had a "Preparing for conference" activity where we played a matching game with pictures and clues about each of the First Presidency and the 12 apostles.  It turned out perfect because we had 16 girls at that activity and there were 15 profiles that we matched up with pictures.  
so, I helped the girls look on Sugardoodle (there is a link on my sidebar) for ideas for a Priesthood Activity.  The girls said,  (moan, grown, eye roll) "We're tired of learning about the Priesthood".  So, they came up with this idea:
We kind of  tricked the class and made them think we were having ANOTHER serious discussion about the priesthood.  We started with one of the girls listing off a bunch of facts about the Aaronic Priesthood.  The beehives really weren't too thrilled, so after a few minutes of listing facts on the board,  one of the girls held up a sign that said, Celebration.  And explained that the only way they could think of too incorporate priesthood and party was to celebrate the Restoration of the Priesthood by having a cake decoration challenge.  We divided into 2 groups.  I had made cakes and frosting all day.  I had all sorts of candy and foods that they used to decorate their cakes.  The girls wanted it to be like a food network cake challenge show that I was unfamiliar with, so the committee just took over and made sure it all worked and flowed.  They did a great job.  They only had 20 minutes to decorate their cakes from start to finish.  Then the deacons came into judge the cakes and help eat.  The girls had a blast.  Their cakes had to fit the theme of the Restoration of the Priesthood.  They did a really good job of interpreting the theme with their cakes.  I forgot my camera (darn).

to learn more, look  here 
ps, I think I am going to be fired, oops, I mean released soon.  We'll see what happens...

2 comments:

Jacobson Five said...

You don't watch Food Network Challenge, that is one of my favorites. That was a creative idea the gals came up with. Good work.

Amara said...

I thought the "learn more" link was on the cake decorating challenge. Dang. Yeah, you can't get fired from a volunteer job. That's my mantra. I wonder where you'll go next?