Thursday, July 17, 2008

Now I know why...

I have never seen a 38 year old female roofer. Roofing is way to hard for any right minded 38 female to do on a regular basis. My brother needed a new roof on his house and we all thought it would be an easy enough task. The bid was for $6,ooo and the supplies were less than $2,000. We we figured if we did it ourselves we would certainly come out ahead. So, we started on Monday afternoon. Me, Lanny, and Jon. Shoveling and hauling 2+ layers of crappy shingles off the roof. I don't think there is a dirtier job in the world. Bryan joined up when he got home from work and Brandi and Jason joined just a short time later. It was horrible. TERRIBLE. Rick wasn't there on Monday because he took the easy way out by working 14 hours and getting home at 3:00 am. Tuesday, I took the easy way out--I had YW and housework--and Sierra with her nasty double eye infection. Lanny and Bryan worked on Tuesday without us as they finished hauling the rest of the shingles off the roof. Wednesday we got an early start at about 10:00 am. Lanny tore off the old, rotten patio cover. Rick and Jon laid tar paper and started with the new shingles. And I was the gopher girl. In the meantime I was picking up more crumbling shingles off the ground and throwing them 4 feet above my head and into the dumpster (more horrible dirtiness). We stopped for lunch and a quick trip to Lowes to pick up a few more supplies. I was the only girl with this crew of tough looking roofers so I was trying my hardest to keep up on the "toughness" scale. The guys were all grabbing their stuff at Lowes and the only thing they would let me do was push the cart! So, when we got back to the worksite I was determined to keep up with the boys. I hauled old boards to the dumpster, hauled new shingles up to the roof, cut down a few trees in the back yard. We got the front half of the house completely shingled by the time the sun went down last night and I have to say those guys were moaning about their aching bodies as much as I was so I didn't feel too bad. Today we meeting at about 3:00 to finish this dirty job. I must say I have a new respect for those roofers I see out there. That is tough work. Now I know why none of them are 38 year old women.
So, my friends, if you wonder why I have not been at kick-boxing this week it is because this 38 year old woman is TOO old to be a roofer and my body would not have been happy with me adding to its burden this week.

3 comments:

missliss5/Melissa said...

I bow down to you and honor your toughness---I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy!

Girl---you are amazing. Dan roofed for 4 years during undergrad. He is a hard worker who doesn't complain much, but I've NEVER heard more complaining out of him than when they had tear offs to do. He HATED tearing off roofs for all of the reasons you listed. I am in awe that you have been over there busting your buns like that.

AND---post roofing days when he's done someone's roof as a favor, he has always INSISTED on them having the shingles delivered to the top of the roof for him. Because that is back breaking work, too. YIKES! I can't believe you have to go back today! Where's the ibuprofen?

Carroll Family said...

Way to go, Kelli!!! You're awesome! We just had our roof done, and I'm so glad I didn't do it! (113 deg. temps, and HARD work)

Amara said...

OK --I was starting to take it personally! I've really missed you. When you come back, sounds like you're going to kickbox all our bums (can I write that?) -- you've gotten so tough. Better you than me... better you than me.