Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentine Traditions...

Valentine Heart Plates
Heart Shaped Breakfast Scones
Cole has been begging me to make scones for breakfast for weeks.  And I have conveniently said, "no" every single time.  He didn't even ask this morning.  I just surprised him.  I added a little bit of food coloring to make them look pink.  Once I had it rolled out and divided I cut a little triangle into the end of each one so it looked like a heart (the kids were so impressed).  Here is the recipe for sugar cookies for breakfast Coffee House Scones:

3 - 3 1/2 c. flour
1 T. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
1/2 c. sugar
1/3 c. brown sugar
11 T. butter
2/3 c. milk
2 T. vanilla

Preheat oven to 425.  Mix flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and brown sugar, until well incorporated.  Cut the butter into tiny pieces and mix into the flour.  Keep cutting in the butter until you incorporate the butter into the flour and it looks like cornmeal.  Add the milk and vanilla and mix to form a dough.
Cut dough in two and shape into 2 round, 1/2 inch think.  Sprinkle with sugar and then cut into 8 wedges.  Separate slightly to help cook.  Cook for 15 to 17 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through in the middle.

The kids also got a little bag of "Happies".  Included were pink tissues, a book, gum, sucker, some flashcards for identifying Hawaiian fish while SCUBA diving for the girls & letter flashcards for Cole,  a shirt for girls & PJ bottoms for Cole.  And the girls got flowers from dad.
We went out this afternoon to deliver some chocolate covered pretzels to the families that I Visit Teach and we stopped to get one last sugar fix for the day.
I have had more sugar in the last 12 hours than I have had in the last 40 days.  My head is spinning (although that might also be from the head cold that Cole passed on to me this weekend.)

We are off to play "go fish" with the flashcards that Cole got for our FHE activity.

1 comment:

Amara said...

You guys are awesome! Jeff got flowers for me and a big heart balloon for each of the girls, and then Kai said "what do I get?". Jeff stutters around a little and then explains Valentine's day is for girls. I'm doubting Kai bought that story....