Sunday, April 7, 2013

a couple of concerts

The Killers were in concert on November 30 at UVU.
We went as a family in celebration of Cole's birthday.
Pretty sure he had no idea what he was in for...
 Brandon Flowers

 Cole had fun, but by the end he was tired and his eyes hurt.
 He had a thanksgiving pow wow at his school earlier in the day.
So, I left the war paint.  I figured he'd fit right in.
"Is this almost over?"

I thought it was a fantastic concert.

During intermission, Sierra & I went down to check out the concert t-shirts.
We ran into this fella above (In the denim jacket).
His name is Brandon.  Brandon Campbell.
I totally stopped him and introduced myself.
He is the bass player for Neon Trees.
He was with his wife, Emelie and we totally stood and talked to them.
Super normal people.  I talked to them about their son, Connor who has autism.
It was for Connor and his school that they performed last year at this time at MVHS.

Fast forward to last Friday night.  
We attended The Airborne Toxic Event concert at the Depot.
We had a conflict that evening--Summer had a concert at BYU with the BYU Women's Choir.
It started at 7:00 pm, make that 7:30.
Doors opened to the concert in Salt Lake at 7:00.
I was nervous that we would arrive in Salt Lake after the band had already taken the stage which is not good in a General Admission situation.
We picked Summer up at BYU at 7:40. 
We didn't hit any too many red lights, traffic was smooth, parking was easy.
We got to the Depot at 8:40
The ticket area was nearly empty as we presented our tickets.
And look who we ran into...

 Mikel (lead singer) and Steven (bass player).
They were trying to slip into an elevator and make their way to the stage.
Summer immediately recognized them and I asked if we could snap a picture.
They were kind and said, "Yes, but make it quick"
So, we snapped a picture and turned back around and got our wrists stamped.
The elevator that they were trying to use was not working, so they had to follow us around the corner to the next elevator.  
We turned one direction to the stairs as they turned to get into the elevator.
I said, "yah! Thanks. We can't wait.  Play Nada."
We already knew the set list and knew that they wouldn't be playing Nada.
Mikel and Steven smiled.
My kind family made fun of me.
(you know you did.)

 Rick and I have been to a lot of concerts over the years.
Rick ranked this concert in his top 3.
And he didn't say so, but I would guess that his top 2 concerts would be:
U2
and U2.
It was that good.
 Summer and I commented after the concert that EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. we looked at Rick,
he was singing the words.
He's been a huge fan for a long time.
 Sierra sent me a text during the concert and said, 
"All I want for my birthday is a viola"
It was an awesome concert.
We're 2 for 2 at The Depot.
The girls enjoyed it, too.

Next up:  Imagine Dragons.  May 20

1 comment:

Amara said...

Your kids are so lucky! I hope they appreciate these fun things you guys take them to.