Sunday, June 1, 2008

book Review...

These Is My Words CoverThis is the book that is keeping me from getting a full nights sleep these days.  Let me know what you think if you have read this book! 

update:  July 28
I have (finally) finished this book.  wow.  It looks like it took me 4 weeks to read this book.  well, minus one week for girls camp.  And one week for recovery.  That leaves 2 weeks which is about par for my reading lately.  This is what I thought of the book:  I really, really liked it.  It is in diary format which if you know me at all, I really love.  My senior course at BYU (in my English major) was called Mormon Women Writers.  We read lots and lots of journals and diaries of Mormon women, especially ones who immigrated to the United States and crossed the plains in covered wagons.  I have always been drawn to stories of pioneer women since I took that course at BYU.  This book is based on event which really took place.  The author spent a huge amount of time researching the time period for which she was writing about.  Her characters were based loosely on some of her own ancestors including her grandmother who was the "writer" of the diary.  Because it is a diary of a young women who did not receive a formal education it is written with that type of grammar and broken English and it makes it much slower for me to read--And I seem to be a slow reader these days as it is.  I really enjoyed reading the book and I have ordered the next book in the series entitled:  Sarah's Quilt.  A third book will be out in paper back in November and I figure that will be just the right timing for me to finish the second book and be ready for a third.  Front Cover
My recommendation:  read it.  5 stars. 

Now I will begin reading this:

The Host
Let me know what you think of this book.

4 comments:

Carroll Family said...

I read the review on Amazon and it looks interesting - what do you think?

The Pixton Family said...

I loved that book- I also liked the second one, "Sarah's Quilt."

kelly said...

i'm reading this as we speak.

Anonymous said...

I read it with a book club a few months ago and enjoyed it very much. A teeny bit graphic at times for me, but it puts life in those times into perspective - especially for a woman.