Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Red Rock Relay Zion 2012

Last spring sometime Rick and I were getting ready for bed and Rick was checking his email.
He said something like this..."They're putting together a team for the Red Rock Relay.  I have that weekend off.  That would be fun.  We should do it."
And I said something like, "yeah, we totally should..."
So, the next morning Rick said, "OK.  I signed us up."
And I said, "For what?"
He said, "The Red Rock Relay.  Remember?"
And I said, "Yes, I totally (do not) remember."
And this is how it went down:
(Mostly just for my own memory...)
 We were in the first van and had a 6 am start time at Brian Head Ski Resort.
Our first runner, John, started our from the hotel in the dark and totally sprained his ankle in the first mile.  He had to run to this ski lift, ride it to the top of the mountain and run down.  This is the sun coming up while we waited for him to run down.  On a sprained ankle!!  Tough guy.

 We drove our Escalade for the "Van #1"
Rick ran the 3rd leg.  Here he is waiting for the runner before him.
Rick's leg was a medium, 8 miles, downhill, at 10,000 feet.
Go Rick.

 Views along the way.

 Cedar Breaks
 Some of our teammates walking back from the lookout.
Notice John in green with his foot iced and wrapped in black tape.
Good thing we were prepared.

 Here comes Rick as he finishes his 8 miles.
 Hand off to Kelli.  My turn to run 7 miles downhill at 9,000 feet.
 Rick was waiting in the car about every 2 miles for me to give me water.
My biggest problem was a major head cold.
I had to keep blowing my nose.
It was awful.
 The homestretch was uphill.  So hard!
 Hand off to Ashton.  I think she is half my age.  
And half my size.
We were the only 2 girls in our van.
Cole saw her picture and wondered why there was a teenager on our team.
 Rick, Ashton, Black, John, (and Taylor & wife--not on our team.  Taylor works with Rick)
Waiting at the PE Building in Cedar City for the other van to finish.
Time for our 2nd round.
 Sunny, Melissa, Ashton, Cheryl
 I watched this guy in the chair cross the line in Cedar City.
I thought I was the oldest person running, but this proved me wrong.
He looks to be a few years older than I am.
His teammate came to congratulate him on his run.
I had to snap a picture just of this.  I was afraid he was going to keel over.

Ashton took over at Cedar City for our Van.  
We headed west out into the desert as evening approached.
Next up was Blake.
Then John.  8 miles in the dark. On a dirt road.  With a sprained ankle.  It was purple and huge by now.
Rick ran next.  6 miles.  hills. dark.  
Then I ran.  5 miles.  hills.  dark.  dirt road.
It was so dusty and I was totally creeped out by running in the dark.  
Jaron ran after I did and he was our final runner.  
He had an allergic reaction to the alfalfa or something.  His eyes were swollen shut.
Rick grabbed the first aid kit and Ashton gave him a shot of benedryl.

 I forgot to bring my camera on the last leg.  We started in Veyo at 5 am.
Ashton was first again.
She was asleep when we got there.  We made a couple of wrong turns and our runner was already waiting for us.  We quickly woke Ashton up and shoved her out of the car to run.
John was next.  Another 6 miles.  In the dark.  on a sprained ankle.
Then me.  It was an easy 2.7 miles of hills down Snow Canyon as the sun was rising.
I kinda enjoyed it.
(This was supposed to be Rick's leg.  But the other team had a sick runner, so we tried to make up for it.  Becky wasn't feeling well.  She ran a tough run down the canyon into Cedar City earlier.  Didn't feel well.  Took a zofran.  Didn't drink enough.  When we got back to the condo after our 2nd leg, she was still in bed.  They started an IV and hooked her up to some fluids.  Put her on the bottom bunk and duct taped the bag to the top bunk.)

Blake was next.  5 miles.  lots of up hills.
Jaron ran another fast 5.
Then I ran an easy 2 miles to the Washington Community Center at 10 am. 
We were supposed to change vans here, but Rick took their first run.
It was s tough 6 miler up and down Telegraph Road.
It was close to 10:30 am and about 80+ degrees.
Ran past the condo.  I was watching for him to come.
I met him with some water and a hat.
Then I drove the last mile to the next stop exchange to pick him up.
Then the other van took over the last 5 legs. 
They were killers.  Through Hurricane and on to Zion's.  
We went back to the condo and showered.
When we caught up with the other van in Springdale, it was 100 degrees at 5 pm.
Here is a view of the finish line at the end of 187 miles.

Melissa was our final runner.
Here she is on her knees just after the finish.

 "Code Disaster"
Jaron, Blake, John, Jarom, Rick
Ashton, Cheryl, Sunny, Melmer, Kelli, Crystal, Becky

This was one of the hardest things I have done.
But, it was so much fun.
I highly recommend a race like this if you are looking for a challenge or a change.
Thanks "Code Disaster" for allowing me to participate on your team even if I was the oldest and slowest!


Kristine said...

I totally love that there was an IV started & a Benadryl injection given. If I ever decide to something as crazy as this, I know what team I want to be on!

Carroll Family said...

THat is REALLY COOL! I wish I was in enough shape to do that!!! I grew up on that mountain every summer and LOVE it deeply!!! AWESOME!!!!!!!

Amara said...

Seriously. I want to be on this team if I'm ever in another relay race. But 100 degrees at 5:00!!! Maybe Ragnar isn't so bad....