Monday, July 9, 2012


This was the second time that I had done the Utah Valley 1/2 Marathon.
Rick has done the Marathon twice, but this year he did the half with me.

Sadly, Rick's partner and good friend died the Monday before the race and the funeral was scheduled for the morning of the race.  
So, we had concluded that we would not be able to run in the race.
Then, on Friday evening, we changed our minds.  We decided that Dr. Hooker would want us to run.
  Rick had it all plotted out so that he knew the starting time (this race has a very dependable start time!), he knew how fast we had to run, and he knew how fast he had to drive to get to the funeral.  
Things didn't go exactly according to schedule.
First, we didn't train exactly as we should have.
Our entire family got a killer respiratory illness in May and training was on hold for 4 weeks.
Then, we didn't do any running the week of the race.
We didn't eat or drink right all week, so we weren't prepared nutritionally.
AND, the night before the race, we went to a concert in SLC and didn't get home until 1 am.
I set my alarm for 3 am to get up and get on the bus for Provo Canyon.
2 hours of sleep is not enough sleep for a 1/2 Marathon.

I found Melinda before the race.  She was excited.  It was her first 1/2 Marathon.
I lost track of her at the port-a-potties.
Then the race began...Rick said he'd meet me at the finish line (in the Mini) according to the plan.
Somewhere along mile 1 to 2, Brandi and her posse passed me.  
They were probably trying to catch up with Melinda.
I was fine.  Slow and Steady.
Until Mile 7.  
I turned to look behind me--probably to make sure I wasn't in last place--and I totally hurt my knee. 
It was killing me.  I slowed down.  Still hurt.  I stopped and stretched.  Still hurt.
I walked. Still hurt.  
I was afraid I was going to have to stop running.  As in, drop out of the race.
I couldn't bring myself to quit because I wanted this... 
I wanted that medal.  Rick would get one.  Everyone would get one and I wanted one, too.
So, I tried to start running.  HURT SO BAD.
So, I walked for 1 mile.  I was almost to the mouth of Provo Canyon.  I knew that I had to decide if I was going to keep going or walk to Gma B's.
It felt the same to walk as it did to run.  So, I ran.
Well, it was kind of a run.  a walkish-run.
I decided that I could do it for a mile and then decide.
It worked.  I kept going.
But, near Riverwoods, a group of runners suddenly stopped and cut in front of me.
I yelled, "Get out of my way.  I CANNOT stop."  
And I didn't stop.
I ran until Will's Pitstop.  I figured that  that was my last chance to quit and walk home.
But, I couldn't quit.  I remembered once when I lived in Kirksville when a couple of my "friends" told me I was a quitter.  So, I kept running.  I was just praying that I hadn't hurt my knee too badly that I couldn't go to Girls Camp 5 days later.
The Marathon runners started passing me near Riverside--the exact same spot they passed me last year!
At Provo High, Rick texted me to tell me that he had finished.
Usually this is where he turns around and runs back to find me and drag me across the finish line.
But, that was not the plan this time.  The plan was that Rick would go to the mall and get the Mini and pick me up as close to the finish line as possible.  
A few minutes later he texted me to tell me that he was near RC Willey Outlet.
Then, Right as I was sprinting the last 100 meters, I got another text saying, "Go Go Go"
How did he know?
I did it.  I finished.  It wasn't pretty. 2:52.
I ran to the Chocolate Milk table.  Then to the Creamy table.  Then back to Center Street. 
And around the block to find Rick. 
Not a minute to spare.  We drove to Orem.
Showered.  Dressed.  Medicated.  Hydrated.
Then off to the funeral.  
We arrived at the Tabernacle in AF with just a couple of minutes to spare.

It wasn't until later in the day as I was wearing my finishers medal around the house, that I noticed that they were different.  Hmmm.  Mine was missing the little orange disc.  It spins.  
I decided that since I was so slow and finished so late in the race, that I got one of the last ones!! 
It was my worst time ever (if you don't count the Thanksgiving Point 1/2).
But, the little orange disc that is missing just reminds me that I didn't get in the training that I had planned, I didn't get the nutrition and hydration that I needed, I didn't get the sleep that I wanted.
But, when things almost go as planned you almost get what you expect. 
It reminds me that next time the training and planning will be better.
And the results will be better, too.
My knee hurt really bad on Saturday and I  was worried.
On Sunday it was sore.
On Monday, it felt fine.

Next up...Red Rock Relay.  


Leslie said...

you are crazy amazing!

Carroll Family said...

I'm still amazed you do it at all! (Who called you a quitter???)

Amara said...

What a bragging rights story! Screw the time! I say you go back and demand the stinkin' spinner thingie! I've had a few moments in my life that i think were defining moments --where I changed how I thought about myself based on how I reacted to certain situations. This would be one of them if I were you. You are one tough lady.