Sunday, November 7, 2010

A quilt top and a question

a quilt top:
This was kind of an afterthought of a project.
I was helping BK find some fabric for a project that might be a Christmas gift.
She was putting together these colors.  
I kinda liked it, so I went back and got some of the prints that she was using.
Some of them we no longer available so I mixed and matched and came up with this combination.
Then we realized that it would match perfectly in Summer's bedroom. 
That is why we added all of the extra borders.  
I think it turned out cute.
I would have done it all differently if I had known that it was going on Summer's bed from the start.
Oh well.  
Now I have to put the back on it and do the binding.  Maybe I'll finish for Christmas.
If not, then it might possibly turn into a birthday present.  (August 5)

and now for the question:
you have all given me good ideas in the past when I have asked for help with YW activities, camp idea, or Cub Scout Pack Meeting ideas.  Now I need help again.  I am the YW secretary.  I need help with this whole conducting thing and opening exercises in YW.  I have only had one other stint in YW and it was in this same ward so I know nothing else.  We are currently suffering from some serious disorganization.  And when I say "we" I mean "me".  (sorry for all of those pronouns in that last sentence!!)

Here is the specific example that I am talking about.  I appears that the YW who is the Laurel Class President does all of the conducting.  I realize that the YW are supposed to be in charge, lead, plan, carry out--all of those things, but heaven help us!  The LCP was not in the YW today, so the 1st couns. caught me in the hall RIGHT BEFORE YW and said that she thought that maybe she was supposed to conduct because the LCP was not there today.  However, 1st. Couns. had to take her sister home because she needed some pain meds.  (I realize that the YW are supposed to conduct the meetings, but it seems odd that only the LCP does all of the conducting for all meetings and activities.  It's just ends up all weird when she doesn't show up and nobody else knows what to do) 
So, here I am 30 seconds before YW is supposed to start and there is no one conducting.  I see the Laurel class sec. and ask her if she will conduct.  She says no, the 2nd Couns. should conduct.  I find the 2nd Couns. and it takes another 2 minutes to convince her to conduct.  Seriously, I was about to cancel the whole meeting and dismiss everyone to Winchell's for donuts by this time.
I was trying to explain the announcements to 2nd Couns. so she could announce them at the right time.    In the meantime, there is no music planned.  So, I ask the pianist what song she is planning for the opening song.  Keep in mind the lesson is on optimism.  I am thinking "What page is There is Sunshine in my Soul?"  But the pianist only knows Nearer My God to Thee.  which is a great song, but wasn't what I had in mind.
I'm trying to find the YW chorister to see if she will lead/find someone to lead who actually knows how to lead 4/4 time.
Then I am having a few more announcements thrown at me, which shouldn't have been a problem, but I was still trying to find someone to pray.  And then the girl that volunteered happens to be the same one who has prayed for the last 3 weeks.  
And a member of the bishopric was there to present a message.
And then we forgot to do the theme.  
FORGOT the theme.  
It's right there on the outline for the person who is conducting.
Just skipped right over it.
UGLY.
And then it only left like 10 minutes for the poor leader to present an entire lesson on optimism. 
I am about to cry just thinking about it.


***
some other random things:
I found on the internet a list of lessons and hymns for 2010 so that the lesson and song coordinate.  Brilliant--No?  Is that so too much to ask?  Does anyone else do this?  Seems pretty logical.  I mean, I know some hymns are harder than others, but we have several girls who play the piano--2 of them actually play for sacrament meeting so there isn't necessarily a lack of talent.  If the girls know weeks and weeks in advance and they rotate who plays, it shouldn't be too much to ask, should it?  How do you do this?
Do you all have a YW who is called to be the pianist or the chorister?  How does this work?
And when the girls get up in front of the group they always act so silly.  I just cringe sometimes.  I mean,  they don't get up in General Conference and flip their hair and giggle and laugh.  Not that EVERYTHING should be compared to GC, but still.
Summer told me today that when she went to a different ward last week, they have their prayer/song/theme all assigned out a month at a time and each month a different group gets a turn.  It's on a little chart that they hang up that looks like a typical FHE job chart.  That sounds like how they do it in Primary in this ward.  Maybe I need to coordinate with the primary secretary and get a copy of her game plan.
Seriously, I'm just overwhelmed.  I'm reading the handbook.  I'm reading on the lds.org website for serving in the church and YW.  I'm trying to figure out how it all works in a practical way.
And since we're on the subject...how do you all come up with/plan weekly activities?  and how do you deal with/coordinate/track Personal Progress?

email me or call me if you need to.  I'm afraid that I'm about to be fired...








7 comments:

Brandi said...

what is up with the border. I didn't know that was an option.

I didn't read everything about YW, but our new secretary organized the music, the pianist, the EVERYTHING in advance. She emails the moms everything. She emails the teachers everything. We know everything that is going on through email. I would say get the email addresses and get them organized. They should also be having class meeting. In there class meeting they should be getting trained on conducting. The Laurels should be willing to conduct because that is their calling as a class presidency. Any more questions call me. I have all the answers. JK!!!

Amara said...

No Kelli --you're not about to be fired --because you care more than the rest of us. Good for you. I swear I didn't even notice we didn't do the theme. Of course I'm trying to cue up my vcr for the lesson...which I didn't use. I did think a funeral song was a little strange for an optimism lesson. I GIGGLE just thinking about it. Don't worry. You'll whip us all into shape in no time. And if you don't...the girls are having a good time, and learning too. We'll be OK.

missliss5/Melissa said...

What's your email address? tomelissa@gmail.com I have totally been in your shoes and feeling just as crappy. Love you and I have a couple forms/ideas.

Leslie said...

Sounds like the YM. I get awesome storis from Scott about the YM "organization"

Jacobson Five said...

Trust me, if I have anything to say about it (and I kinda do), YOU ARE NOT GETTING FIRED. I'm glad that you care!
The whole opening exercises thing is something I have wanted more organized, so let's do it!

Galo Fab 5 said...

You better not get fired! They can't steal you away (well I don't know if it's stealing if you ask to be taken away) then fire you. I'm sure you'll do great. You did great in cub scouts. Heck we had 4 boys show up when you first got called and last month there was 15! I'm betting you won't fail at this either.

Jonathan and Teresa Herlevi said...

I'm sure our YW in NC was much smaller than yours but one thing that really motivated me as a YW was a private meeting with a leader to map out my plan for personal progress. Then we met every 6 months or so to check on my progress and revise the plan as needed. It kind of turned into a mentor activity and helped me reach a more personal/spiritual level with my leaders.
If it's feasible I think its a great idea because I was able to let my guard down when one-on-one and not in front of my peers....the silliness, as you know, is a mask for the insecurities.