Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Pea and carrot Coconut Curry



This is mostly for me so that I don't forget where I put this recipe. Because I do that. a lot.


In a large frying pan, saute 1 small onion, chopped; 1 to 2 T. curry powder; 1 t. salt; and 1 chopped serrano chili* in a little vegetable oil.
Add 1 lb. baby carrots, cut length wise; 1 c. frozen peas; 1/2 c. water; and 1 can coconut milk.
simmer, covered, until carrots are tender. Serve over steamed basmati rice and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.

* I had planned on making this and I had all of the ingredients on hand except the serrano chili. so, I went to the storage room and grabbed this:

a jar of peppers that i had canned last summer. It was the last of the peppers. I took everything that was left over from the salsa canning and just threw it into a pot and bottled it up and stuck it on the shelf. I had no idea that the Scoville unit was going to be about 4 million. So, needless to say that this was one HOT dinner. But the kids loved it. We just had to keep wiping our noses and eventually our eyes all through the dinner. I will certainly be making this again, I will just be a little more carefully about the heat level!!
It was so yummy and smelled so good when it was cooking that I didn't bother to get a photo of the dish after it was prepared and on the plate, so use your imagination.




1 comment:

Amara said...

A recipe??? cool. You guys are so tough. I grind a little black pepper into a dish and my kids rebel. This sounds really good --and vegan too!