Monday, June 29, 2009

spring garden

These are my irises.  i think that they are beautiful.  well, at least for a few weeks in the spring. 

They all came from my mom's yard.  she gave them to me because they weren't blooming very well.   When she saw them in my yard this spring, she wanted them back.

I will be thinning them out soon.  They are getting too thick.  They are also starting to crowd out the tomatoes, tomatillos and squash that are planted in front of them.  If you want any of them (and you know who you are, Amara) come and get them.  I tried to include these pictures so that kind of, maybe you can tell which colors you are getting.  If we're home, great.  If not, dig in, just be nice to the tomatillos.  And speaking of tomatillos...I was so careful to plant tomatillos seeds in the basement window this spring so that I could get a head start.  I so LOVE the tomatillo salsa I made last year.  I babied my little seedlings all spring.  They looked so pathetic when it was time to move them to the garden.  And what do you know, tomatillos are coming up like weeds out in the garden where I had them growing last year.  I am actually pulling them out to thin them and make room for the things I actually planted out there.  that figures.   
And I have lots of tomato blossoms.  I'm really pleased with the way my tomatoes are looking at this point.  I have about 20 plants.  I hope we get lots and lots of tomatoes, especially the yellow, white and stripey ones.  I probably have about 10 different varieties of tomatoes.  whaahoo. 

5 comments:

Amara said...

Just got home --and I'm coming for the irises --so watch out irises! Figures with the tomatillos --happens to me with basil every year, but I'm too scared to trust those volunteers every time.

Carroll Family said...

WOW!!!!!!! I'm impressed! and jealous! Everything here is about to die! I would love a great tomatillo salsa recipe - I keep trying, but would love a well-tried one!

Galo Fab 5 said...

Your yard looks great. If you have any extra tomatoes, send them my way. Lukey brought me two containers full of green tomatoes that he picked for me today. :(

Merrills said...

I'm so jealous of your garden. I planted a garden for my first time ever this year and it is a sad, little garden. I planted my seeds in April and moved them in and out of the sun every day for 3 or 4 weeks and then I transplanted them to my garden and it's not looking so good. I may be the only person in the world who can't even grow zucchini. Next year I'll have to get some tips from you!

rin said...

Your yard is lovely. Post more pictures!