Friday, August 1, 2008

Good News / Bad News


We'll start with the good news: No stress fracture or broken bones.  No problems relating to bunion/bunion surgery.  I have a basic neuroma.  Easy solution:  numb my foot and shoot it full of cortizone.  Right now my foot feels FABULOUS, but that is probably because it is still numb.  It will probably hurt badly over the weekend and the Dr. said that I absolutely must not whatsoever under any circumstances whatsoever do any housework or cooking.  I feel highly pressured to adhere strictly to the doctors recommendations.  (What is a nueroma, you ask?  well, if you look at the first picture you will see that my second and third toe are quite separated from each other.  well, there is a nerve that goes down the foot and then splits and part goes down one toe and the other nerve goes down the other toe.  Where the nerve splits is where is it inflamed and the pressure is pushing the two toes apart.  The pain begins in the ball of the foot and goes up through the foot.  It sort of feels like a little electric surge that comes and goes (and sometimes stays all day!)  They shoot that area full of cortizone and that should solve the problem)
I really might have a sore foot for the rest of the weekend, but the dr. said if all goes well I will be running by the first of the week!!!  I haven't been this excited to get out and run since I was 9 months pregnant and couldn't move faster than a waddle.

BAD NEWS:  (brief history--I had bunion surgery on this foot when I was 19.  My feet didn't necessarily hurt from the bunions, but my mom thought she was doing a little preventative care when we decided to do this because she saw how badly my Grandma Ethel suffered with bunions through her life.  The surgery was HORRIBLY painful and esthetically didn't do a thing for my feet.  They looked just as bad after the surgery as they did before.  Fast forward to today...the doctor said that a normal foot has an 8-9% angle between the 1st toe and the 2nd toe.  Mine is 18% which is about what it was before surgery 20 years ago.  I clearly have redeveloped the bunions.  He said that I don't need to have surgery again unless 1)  I have severe pain, which I don't really have any more pain now than I ever have and 2) I have feet deformities because of the bunion--which at this point is a matter of opinion--my feet ain't pretty, but neither are they quite deformed!  Sooooo, no need for further bunion surgery until I meet the above criteria.
More BAD NEWS:  Beginning sings of arthritis in that that huge, ugly toe joint of mine. 
But I don't mind if I can just get moving again.  Follow up appointment is scheduled for 4 weeks.  Keep your fingers (and toes) crossed for me and my feet!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch Kelly. That stinks. Did you mean tow or toe - I was a little confused. :-) At least you have some good books to read. Let me know if Sarah's quilt is worth it. I did finish the Host but wasn't as intrigued as with the vampire series. Don't hint at how it ends. I'm trying to read the Book of Mormon in a month so I'll get to read #4 after that. Kind of a good incentive, eh?

Carroll Family said...

Ouch! My mother had bunions and they were painful. Her surgery helped, I think - they were really bad. Of course, I almost passed out when the dr. took the pin out without warning me first!

Amara said...

ow ow ow. OK, but you cooked that zucchini stuff.... i know priorities. it was probably more important that you could move around in your kitchen unimpeded by menacing gangs of zucchini.

Jacobson Five said...

Well there you go the perfect excuse to not go to Tae-Bo. Just teasing. Hopefully it doesn't prevent you from going to 7-Peaks, you do need to get your money's worth.

Yeah I ordered my Breaking Dawn through Amazon as well and it got here Saturday. I was out of town and got home last night. I'm already hallf-way through. Yes I have had a productive day.

About the Host, you have to give it a chance. I really liked it, but it does start out slow. Have fun reading.