Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Young Women Camp 2014

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Girls Camp
So, exciting to go with my own 2 (3) girls.
I was doubtful that I would be going to girls camp this year 
(because of last year's drama) and because I have been in YW for quite a few years.  I was the secretary and then I got released.  They called me to be the Laurel Advisor.  I was thrilled, but I still thought it was a weird move to stay in Young Womens.  I took it as an opportunity to get to know the girls better by acting like I was one of them!! Which was fine because there were 15 adults at camp and not everyone can be in charge, right?  I left that to the other leaders to duke it out for the chance to make all of the calls, I was just along for the ride.  And it was a great ride...

Here we are at the Church waiting to leave.  And waiting.  And waiting.



First stop:  Cove Fort.  We washed the windows for our service project.  Do you see all of those windows?  yep, our "Service Project" took approximately 4 seconds.  But, it was still fun.  I love Cove Fort.


Lunch at Cove Fort (I think this was my favorite meal of the whole camp)
Next stop:  Freemont Indian State Park.

We camped at Freemont Indian State Park.  It was OK.  If you like rocks, sage brush, dirt, lots of sun, and the sound of I-70 traffic lulling you to sleep at night.
These are some of my fun girls that I got to hang out with (even though we weren't supposed to climb on the rocks!).  (Where were Sierra & Ellie??)

Summer is obsessed with starting fires.  Do you see her camp book out so that she makes sure she is doing it correctly?  This may be the only bit of certification that was done at camp.  Way to go Summer.

Summer and Lexi

And the Bacon.  with a fork.

Shelby was traumatized by the squirrel lurking around her tent.
It peaked when she realized that said squirrel had a bite of her gum...through the wrappers, and through the plastic bag that was sitting on her pillow.  She was convinced that the squirrel peed on her pillow.  I might have taken some raisins from the trails mix, cut them into tiny pieces to make it look like squirrel poop.  (apparently I had too much free time...)

All of the happy campers.  plus a few grumpy ones.

I was in charge of certification.  Shelby and I planned a hike for the level 1 and level 2 girls.
We used the map that the State Park provided.  It was supposed to be 5 miles.
The map was a joke.  We basically ended up walking 2 miles along the freeway, crossed under the freeway, found a shortcut and walked 2 miles back.  It was awful.  We had packed our lunches to eat along the way (part of certification).   But, other leaders determined that the hike was taking too long and we didn't have time to stop and eat.  What??  No time to eat???  We had to get back to camp for horseback riding.
The following day, Brother Olson and I took a smaller group of girls on a hike around the museum.  It was really fun.  Less than 2 miles and we saw tons of rock art.

 Sierra found some rock art near our camp.

Lots and lots of rock art near the museum.

Sierra and Shelby


You know the girls have too much free time when all they can come up with to do is give each other facials and shape their eyebrows.  One of the leaders had a come apart when they found out about it.  oops.  She said, "who in the world is doing that???????"  I calmly said, "My daughter."

So much fun with my girls.  I love them all so much.  Even though camp was chaotic I loved being there and having the opportunity to hang out with these wonderful young women for a few days. So sad that this was Summer and Shelby's last year of YW Camp.  Hopefully I still have a few more years of camping left in me.

Summer, me, Sierra, Shelby

The girls slept most of the way home.  They were tired and hungry.  
We might have stopped at Arby's on the way home for some real food.

1 comment:

Amara said...

Oh honey -- you're just one of the girls! Wish I could have come too, although I probably would have just read my books the whole time.