Sunday, July 12, 2009

Saturday in Richfield

So, my cousin, Alexia, got married yesterday in Annabella at my Aunt Connie's house.  At the last minute my mom and I loaded up the car with my kids, some diet coke, and a donut and headed south.  I was very glad we went.  I think my dad would have been pleased with us for being there.  Speaking of my dad...when we parked and headed up the walkway to the yard, I spotted my Uncle Dell.  He is the youngest of the 6 kids, my dad being the oldest.  Anyway, I never thought my dad and his brother looked alike, but for about 5 seconds I thought my dad was standing there.  I started to cry.  All I could think of was my dad and how much I missed him.  Especially when family events like this come up.  

For some reason, Cole took an instant liking to Uncle Dell and engaged him in several water bottle sword fights.  I thought it was so sweet to see the Father of the Bride take a few minutes to entertain my little blonde boy. 
Dell went to sit in the shade and take a drink.  Cole leaned over to me and said, "Mom, who is that man?"  I said, "He is Papa Kent's brother.  His name is Uncle Dell."  He said, "I'm going to go tell that man that I love him."  My aunt Connie was standing there and she heard him tell Dell that he loved her.  They both started to cry.  
Me and Uncle Dell
Shirley (dad's sister) , Kelli, Lori (cousin), Connie (dad's other sister), and Nan (my mom)

2 comments:

Jess said...

I am so glad you guys came down. It was nice to see you and your kids and I'm sure that my dad would be more than happy to entertain Cole anytime.

Amara said...

Thanks for sharing such a sweet story. Sometimes the kids just "get it" --you know? They feel something and act on it.