Sunday, July 4, 2010

Another story about Poppies...

We were in Mt. Pleasant yesterday for the parade and celebrations. I just love a small town parade (and BTW, if you see a for sale sign and a moving van at my house one of these days, it's because I have up and relocated to Sanpete County. Not really. but, maybe.)
Anyway, after the parade, we were walking back down a side street to the car and we passed a large corner lot with a house that was approximately 100 years old with a beautiful yard. I said to Summer, "Look at all of those beautiful, pale pink poppies. I have never seen poppies in that color." So, Summer ohhhed and ahhhed and walked right up onto the front porch and knocked on the door. A voice from inside faintly called for the visitor to come in. Summer poked her head inside and said, "your yard is beautiful. I really love your poppies." A little old lady that was almost as old as the house that she lived in popped her head into view from an adjoining room. Through her oxygen mask she talked to Summer about her garden. Then Summer politely asked if she could pick one of the seed pods from one of the poppies that had already lost its petals. She was granted permission and excused herself from the home as she thanked her new friend for the seeds. Summer skipped to the side yard and picked a pod and carefully held onto it all of the way back home.

So, Amara, we will have a new color of poppy/weed to add to our annual mix. You can thank Summer when it blooms in a couple of years.

And sadly enough, after taking about 1,500 pictures in that last 4 weeks, I forgot my camera this weekend and do not have photos of the poppies in Mt. Pleasant or the fantastic yard sale that we stumbled upon. The home was for sale, as well as everything in it and the surrounding neighborhood. I scored some fantastic FireKing bowls, Rick got a great vintage Tonka truck and Kris found an Oreo cookie jar that she has been searching high and low for for years. Oh, and they threw in a bracelet for Summer for free. We took a self guided tour through the house and decided that if they would take a trade straight across for our current home, that we wold relocate. didn't happen. oh well.
Have a good rest of the holiday weekend. Pictures to come....

2 comments:

Amara said...

Yay! By two years I should have some migrate over here if I don't decide to take a more direct route. I'm jealous of the yard sale. That's where you get treasures like that. Heaven knows I can't afford them in an antique shop!

Jacobson Five said...

Do poppies really take 2 years to grow? I never would have known, if it wasn't for your very informative blog.
By the way...are you guys (by you guys I mean Summer)going to be around on the 14th of this month. I need a babysitter from about 8:00 am till 5:30 pm for the 3 boys. I'll pay her $40. let me know if she owuld want to do this!