Sunday, October 2, 2011

Color Coding the Proclamation and more...

I saw this activity on the internet several weeks ago and I thought it would be a good idea for the YW Activity that I was in charge of in August.  It included The Family:  A Proclamation to the World...
to print your own copy go here: the Family
or you can pick one up at your local Distribution Center.

This is the copy that I had found online where the document has been color coded according to the 8 different Young Women Values.  To learn more about that go here:  Young Women Values.
You can find this color coded version by doing a google image search of "color coded proclamation".  Several versions will pop up.

Then I printed out a little prompt sheet of my own with the scripture and description of each value. 
I gave each of the Young Women at the activity a copy of Family:  A Proclamation to the World, and a prompt sheet.  We had volunteers read paragraphs (slowly) and then the other girls would raise their hands (or shout out) when a phrase was read that pertained to a value. And then we would underline/color that phrase.  At first it was hard, but it got much easier as we went along.

 The copy on the left is my version and the one of the right is Sierra's. 
(I had Cole and Sierra with me because Rick was at work.)

It was such a great learning opportunity for me, that I had this really great idea to color code my Patriarchal Blessing.
So, on Friday night, I typed up my blessing onto the computer so that I could make the font bigger and add space between lines and make the margins bigger so I could add notes.  That was as far as I made it with that project.  (which I am doing as a Personal Progress activity)  But, it was a really good reminder of the words and phrases in my blessing.

Here is the really exciting part...so many of the phrases of my Patriarchal Blessing were repeated throughout the talks given in General Conference.  So, sorry to all of the rest of you, but this conference was meant for me.  I'm not sure if I would have recognized that so many of the General Authorities were talking directly to me if I had not just recently read through my blessing so carefully.  I can't wait to get the Ensign in a few weeks and take a printed copy of my blessing and compare the counsel given to me as I color code my blessing with the Young Women Value colors.

PS.  I highly recommend this activity to any who want to become more familiar with The Family:  A Proclamation as well as your own Patriarchal Blessing.

2 comments:

Amara said...

No No! It was for me!! :) I love that --tender mercies.

Josh and Laura said...

I love the color coding idea! For the proclamation or patricarchal blessing...great idea!