Monday, January 31, 2011

I love/hate this quilt

Image of houndstooth quilt pdf pattern
I found this pattern on the internet a few months ago.  LOVED it.
See more here.  I was feeling pretty confident in my quilting skills having finished this recently:
quilt for Summer's bed
So, I mulled it over for a few weeks, and I finally ordered the pattern.  I wanted something for my own bedroom now that the kids all have quilts for their beds.  My bedroom furniture is black so I thought this would look good.
I had a few other projects that I needed to finish, but when I got the pattern I thought it looked manageable.  Before I purchased 8 yards of fabric in black and white, I decided that maybe I should make a smallish version of this quilt just to make sure I could handle it.

I had about a yard of blue on hand and just a little bit more of some dark red.  I thought they looked "OK" together so I started cutting and sewing.  The cutting was easy, the sewing was difficult.
After a little sewing and pinning I had huge stacks that looked like this:


Then, with more cutting and Summer's help I came up with this:


Each day I would sew 2 or 3 strips because that was all I could handle.  It made me dizzy to look at it for too long.
On Saturday while Rick worked for 12 hours, I finished sewing the strips, put the "quilt sandwich" together with the batting, and then sewed on the binding.  I finished the binding last night and threw it in the washing machine & dryer to get the "crinkle" look.  I love, love, love it.  Who cares how bad I hated it a few weeks ago.  Here it is...
Then I noticed this little flaw where the binding didn't quite cover the edge of the square...


Rick loved the quilt, too.  And is looking forward to me making a black and white version for our bed which I might add, is a king size bed.  I wasn't sure if I could tackle this pattern in a king size version.
But this morning, I put it out on my bed and I love it again.  Now I just have to make this 10 times the size and I will be done.  It took me 2 to 3 weeks to do this little baby, so I am thinking it will take 20 to 30 weeks to make one 10 times as big, don't ya think?  I am going to put this project on the calendar for next fall.


But, this is my favorite part...I wanted to use only scraps that I had on hand and not make any purchases just because it was for practice.  So, the tan fabric for the back didn't quite fit so I had to add a little to it.  I had the squares already cut out so I just made a little strip for the back.  I think it looks good.  And I used a new type of thread in red to do the free motion quilting.  I love how this turned out.  I am glad I did a practice version.  I learned many things.  Now if I can only remember them for next time around.

Rick suggested that I give this to my newest nephew to be born in June.  No way!!  This is going on the wall so I can look at it every day and appreciate the blood, sweat, and tears that it took to make this quilt.

Do you really think I can handle making one in a king size?

Also, the girl who wrote this pattern is from Loa, Utah (remember Aunt Shirley who works at Capitol Reef?  it's all the same when you live in Wayne County.  I'm pretty sure they are friends or neighbors or something)  
Her name is Vanessa and she is going to be on Good Things Utah on Friday (february 4).  
I'm pretty sure I WON'T be watching.  I don't have time right now for another project!!

5 comments:

Kristine said...

I LOVE IT!!! I'm thinking I might make myself a quilt for that new house I'm going to buy, but not this one.

Jess said...

love it too! you are quite the quilter! do you do quilting for other people? I can sew tops. I can bind, but the quilting part has me baffled.

Shannon said...

Oooooh! I LOVE it!!! Nice work! Wait...is Teresa pregnant?!?!??!

Amara said...

I can't even think about a project that size. You remind me of my sister. She was making a quilt for this girl in her singles ward, but by the time she finished she said there was no way in HECK they were getting that quilt. She bought Tupperware.

kesli said...

Kelli - I just had a friend of mine send me the link to that same pattern about two days ago. Then I jump on your blog and there it is. Now I am second guessing myself about doing the quilt but I think you have inspired me. We'll see.